Re: How to get Bell Canada 3G USB network up?

> So this must be your problem.

(not sure what you mean)

> I have something here:
> http://rjnoe.home.xs4all.nl/0/linux/3g/at-commands/

Thanks. I'll have to further study that, on cursory look I didn't see
anything to fix the modem at UMTS (to prevent the switch to HSPA, as
suggested by Scott). Although, maybe I'd rather want to fix it at
HSPA. Ordunno. (It's still sad that under windows it seems to be able
to do the switching without crashing.)

> It has multiple entries in /dev : /dev/ttyUSB0 , /dev/ttyUSB1 , /dev/ttyUSB2
> . One of them is for 'control'.

ok

> I don't get that, 'option' is the driver, ppp or whatever else ( NM, wvdial
> ) will rely on it. Unless you replace 'option' with 'usbserial' which, I
> think, is a mistake.

Yeah I guess I've got things mixed up. My brain has already dumped all
the details. I guess I didn't mean ppp but AT. Not sure though. I just
remember that I dealt with a new set of drivers and userspace programs
that would be "all new" because "that's more efficient than the old
AT/ppp way". And I thought that was "option". But maybe it was
something else.

I tried to go that route because the old AT/ppp way didn't work out
and I was hoping that the new thing would be better tailored to the
new 3G world. But in the end I was just stuck, too. Actually I found a
glaring setuid security hole in the software for that on the go, and a
debian package was removed because of that (pre-squeeze).

> Sometime ago I wrote some scripts, playing with a 'hso' modem. They are
> here: http://rjnoe.home.xs4all.nl/0/linux/3g/
> I think you can replace 'hso' with 'usb' in some places.

I'm a bit too tired to try to figure out which of these files goes
where, and how to change them. It's just too much info to process when
I don't really want to deal with all that complexity.. well, really,
I'm still kind of hoping that some network manager guy could lead me
the way, since I'm so close and fixing nm would likely benefit Linux
as a whole more. (Me too I liked low level tools for a long time; but
I've just given in to nm a year ago and it works ok for me, like, wifi
is much less of a pain now than it used to be with my home brewn
tools. I'm still using home brewn stuff, newly written, that allows me
to change between network configurations on the command line, to allow
me to also switch stuff like firewalling and running services and ssh
config and hosts file and resolv.conf and creating tunnels and what
not, I'm just disabling nm in those contexts where it doesn't make
sense.)

Christian.