Re: Subscription

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 02:54 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 11/06/11 23:16, Lisi wrote:

> >> use

> >> can

> >> Yeah, there are braille tablets with mechanical 'dots'. However they cost
> >> some real money. Also as one who constantly brushes dust, skin, and hair
> >> off my macbook, I have no idea how you'd keep one of those clean.
>
> I've seen one made by Nokia that was wipeable - most of the haptic
> devices are easy to clean.
> NOTE: the haptic devices are very cool and allow you to feel images!
>

> > This:
> > http://www.rnib.org.uk/shop/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?category=transcription_software&productID=HT10601
> > was all I was able to find this side of the pond, and it claims only to be
> > able to translate word processor documents, not Internet pages.  Have you a
> > reference?
> >
> > I have also found this:
> > http://www.tabletedia.com/news/1113.html
> > but that refers to the future.
> >
> >> This is about 80% OT but you asked. I'm also sure that Google can get you
> >> more reliable info on this topic than I. Hopefully if you design software
> >> or web pages, you'll consider how you'd use it without eyes.
> >
> > We are a long way from web sites designed with blind people in mind.  Most are
> > designed without consideration even for the partially sighted!
>
> *cough* some of us do design websites the blind and visually handicapped
> in mind....it's just not noticed by those with normal vision. (sigh) ;-p
> All of my sites are built with the visually handicapped in mind - they
> must be navigable and intelligible with Lynx, that overpriced p.i.t.a.
> JAWS - and the decent screen readers, braille displays as well. Even
> harder is allowing for colour vision impaired (but doable) and ensuring
> those that are (merely) vision impaired can navigate and access the
> information with screen magnifiers. That also means ensuring that it's
> easy to "tab" though contents, skip menus - all that has to be possible
> as both a full screen layout and on mobile devices.
> Then we have make sure that all browsers can display it as both large
> screen and mobile (ie6 included). Technically I'm bad because I don't
> use image tags - my sightless site testers had the same complaint Ralf
> had about un-necessary words - so I try and just ensure the name is
> instructive eg. cow_picture.png except in the rare circumstance that a
> site requires a detailed description of a graphic for the
> non-graphically orientated.
> With many government clients these things are mandated in the contract -
> with corporate clients it's just sensible. Despite what many of the web
> "designeers" I hear from will tell you - failing to support the visually
> handicapped or those using IE6 means locking can mean losing business.
> I don't usually plug my business - and I'm certainly not a rarity
> amongst designers - I know many who do a much better job than I.
> Feel free to ask for a link.

Sometimes the ignorance is funny. In my hometown there was a pharmacy
where people only could go in by stairs. You only needed to have a
sporting injury and couldn't go in. At least the target group should be
satisfied.

"With many government clients these things are mandated in the contract"
this should be taken for granted.

Cheers!

Ralf