Re: [Debian 6] Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors found

On 12/06/11 01:11, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 00:58 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

<snipped>

> In Germany so called "Sperrmüll" (bulk garbage) once a month can be put
> out to the siedwalks, at least in the Ruhrgebiet. I got very good
> computer equipment from the bulg garbage, since nobody e.g. wishes to
> have a very good large screen but short size CRT monitor, without any
> defects, absolutely clean, or a very good keyboard, without folderol.
> People prefer bad elcheapo displays from the supermarket, bad keyboards
> with all kinds of remote folderol instead. Here in Germany it's easier
> to get good computer equipment from the garbage, than brand new from a
> supermarket. Most people use computers as a toy, they don't have any
> usage, thy just need the toy with the highest numbers, e.g. better 8 GB
> RAM, than 4 GB RAM for a 32-bit Windows without PAE :D.

Yeah - same here, more computer "consumers" than computer "user". Every
6 to 12 months they buy another one to turn into a worm farm.
Best thing about Debian is that new software gives new life to old
hardware. Classic example is the IBM Thinkpad T22 w. 256MB of RAM I put
Squeeze KDE on yesterday - even with minimal trimming it's still quicker
than a very recent Toshiba running Windoof 7 under multi-GBs  of RAM
that I was shown today - (the proud owner didn't understand my lack of
enthusiasm for the ground breaking technology that allowed her multiple
desktops!).

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.