Re: Setting up networking on eth0

On Thursday 09 June 2011 03:26:23 Mark Panen wrote:
> I am using KDE on 6.0.0, knetworkmanager uses auto eth0 to get a DHCP
> address. I have added a wired connection for a static address, but
> each time i reboot it uses the auto eth0

auto eth0 does not set the IP.  It tells the system to start eth0
automatically at start up.

> and i want a static address.
> Here is my setup:
>
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp

Give the second of these a line to itself.

#NetworkManager
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

This second of these lines is your problem.  You
are telling the system to use dhcp.  You want iface eth0 inet static and then
the settings.  Here is mine:

iface eth1 inet static
        address 192.168.0.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.0.1
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
installed
        dns-nameservers 212.23.3.100 212.23.6.100

The gateway is my router.

Lisi