Re: is this hard disk failure?

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 06/07/2011 08:02 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
[snip]

- install SMART utilities and run "smartctl -A /dev/<your drive> -- the
first line is usually the "raw read error" rate -- if the value (last
entry on the line) is anything except 0, that's the sign that your drive
is failing, if it's in the 1000s, failure is imminent, it's just that
your drive's internal software is hiding it from you - replace it!

Then why does smartctl give my disk a green light?

http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/smart_window.png

Well... smartctl isn't giving you the green light, it's your GUI that's interpreting the numbers as a "green light"

Personally, that raw read error rate would scare me, particularly in such a young drive.

Miles