Git and gpg agent issues

This is strange and perhaps someone has an answer.

I tried to create a signed tag in a Git repository today on my desktop
and I get the following:

gpg: problem with the agent - disabling agent use
error: gpg failed to sign the tag
error: unable to sign the tag
The tag message has been left in .git/TAG_EDITMSG

Mmmmkay.  The lines below the gpg: line popped up after entering my
passphrase.

However, I was able to SSH into the machine from my laptop and create
the signed tag except that I only seemed to get this harmless error:

gpg:  gpg-agent is not available in this session

However, both machines have the gnupg-agent packages installed.  The
desktop is running Sid and the laptop is running Testing and have the
equivalent gpg/gnupg packages installed in each.  Each machine has a
/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon process running.

- Nate >>