Re: Wrestling with Dell Precision laptop. You too? Discuss tips & experience

On 06/07/11 at 01:00pm, Paul Johnson wrote:
> If you have one of these new-ish Dell laptops, maybe we can help each other.
>
> The newer kernel appears to be necessary to use  either the wireless ( Intel
> Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 ) or  the wire (Intel Corporation
> 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection ).

Whoa, whoa, why? If you mean 'the older kernel packages don't come with the appropriate modules', that's fine. But it doesn't mean you need the new kernel. You can get the source for the kernel modules and compile it for an earlier kernel.

> If you have ideas  about keyboard configuration, please speak up.

This seems like your most fixable issue. Even a completely crazy keyboard can be made to work, you just have to find the closest keymap and modify it as necessary. You can even create wholly-new keymaps if you need to, and modify them key-by-key.
If you have only a few keys broken try seeing what codes you're getting with xev and modify them with xmodmap.

--
Liam