tar --remove-files chokes on symlinks

I have a cron script that runs tar on a directory in order to clean it
up and minimize its size.  I run the command:

tar cf Backup_Server.tar.gz --remove-files *

but during the tar process I get the errors:

tar: /RAID/System/Backup/bin: Cannot rmdir: Directory not empty
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

When I look in /RAID/System/Backup/bin, all that is left are a number of
symlinks.  Evidently, tar is unable to delete the symlinks prior to
attempting the directory delete.  If it makes a difference, these
symlinks actually point to nothing.  In any case, how can I get tar to
delete the links and complete the job?