Re: XORG.CONF or a solution without xorg.conf needed

On Ma, 31 mai 11, 13:18:15, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>         >
>         > For Debian I still need to set up a xorg.conf,
>
>         Why do you think so?
>
> I  don't think so, it's a declarative statement.

Since you didn't provide more info I guessed you assumed you need one,
while with reasonably recent hardware it's not needed in 99% of the
cases ;)

> I guess nobody wish to have a vertically frequency of 60Hz ;), it's not
> very pleasant to look into a stroboscope. In addition I wish to be able
> to select the screen resolution I like, 1152x864 @ 90Hz.

That's a good reason for an xorg.conf ;)

> Then I have several needs and need several drivers. I'm used to switch
> the drivers automatically at startup, by adding
>
> rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> case $(uname -r) in
>     *rt*)
>         cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>         ;;
>     *)
> 	cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>         ;;
> esac
>
> to /etc/rcS.d.

Could you provide more details why you have to change drivers?

> At the moment I urgently need help regarding to xorg.conf or any other
> solution that enables me to select the driver, and to get 1152x864 @
> 90Hz.
>
> The graphics is a NVIDIA GeForce 7200 GS aka 7300 SE. The CRT monitor is
> an Lifetec/Medion MD1998JB J91B.

The big question about the monitor is if it (correctly) sends EDID data
to the video card. Please post the full /var/log/Xorg.0.log after
starting without any xorg.conf.

> At the moment for my Debian install, the mouse wheel isn't working, as
> soon as I add a xorg.conf. Without an xorg.conf the mouse wheel seems to
> work all the times. I stopped trying to use old xorg.confs.
>
> I run Xorg -configure in recovery mode.
>
> The mouse is a wired Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A PS/2.
>
> This is what Xorg -configure generated
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier  "Mouse0"
> 	Driver      "mouse"
> 	Option	    "Protocol" "auto"
> 	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> 	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
> EndSection

You don't have to specify everything in xorg.conf, just the minimal
stuff to get your monitor working as you want it. Assuming your monitor
doesn't send (correct) EDID data you'll need at least something like
this:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier      "My Monitor"
    HorizSync       XX XX
    VertRefresh     YY YY
EndSection

The values for XX and YY should be taken from the monitors
manual/specifications, otherwise you can fry it.

With this info Xorg might be able to setup a usable resolution/refresh
rate. The next step (if needed) would be to specify one ore more
resolutions from which Xorg can choose (default will be the highest). If
this is still not enough you'll need to generate a Modeline specific to
your monitor.

Hope this is enough info to get you going. If you get stuck feel free to
ask for more infos on list[1], but always attach full xorg.conf (or
xorg.conf.d files) and the respective /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

[1] BTW, I do read the list, CC-ing me is not necessary ;)

Regards,
Andrei