Re: How do I register a service?

On Mon, 30 May 2011 15:10:55 -0500, lrhorer wrote:

>>> Nevermind.  I found it.  I should be using insserv instead of
>>> update-rc.d
>>
>> Ah, that. Yep, "man update-rc.d" should also point to "insserv".
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
> OK, wait a minute.  It should work, but it isn't.
>
> Here is pyHME:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
> # Provides:          pyHME
> # Required-Start:    $remote_fs $syslog $network $pyTivo
> # Required-Stop:     $remote_fs $syslog $network $pyTivo
> # Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
> # Default-Stop:      0 1 6
> # Short-Description: HME Services
> #### END INIT INFO
>
> but when I run `insserv pyHME` I get:
>
> RAID-Server:/etc/rc2.d# ls -1 *py*
> S04pyHME
> S04pyTivo
>
> That will run pyHME before pyTivo.  What am I doing wrong?

Test it and see how it goes.

Besides, there is more information on "insserv" here:

http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts

And more specifically the FAQ section:

***
Is it possible to specify that a given script should start before another
script?

There is no such standard-defined header, but there is a proposed
extention implemented in the insserv package (since version 1.09.0-8).
Use the X-Start-Before and X-Stop-After headers proposed by SuSe.
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón