Re: Building Chromium from source on Debian 6.0.1 Stable

On Fri, 27 May 2011 14:28:23 +0000 (UTC)

> Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 06:07:00 -0400
> From: Perry Thompson <rypervenche@yahoo.fr>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Building Chromium from source on Debian 6.0.1 Stable

> Is it ok that there are all of these dependencies being changed? And
> more importantly, is it a problem that some of the packages are being
> removed? This is what I have done.
>
> rypervenche@debian:~$ sudo apt-get -t sid build-dep chromium-browser

Hello Perry,

I'm not sure if you should proceed or not.  Generally, the "apt-get
-t sid" command you ran simply installs a binary from sid, which is
different than porting a package from unstable sources to the stable
system.  These are two very different things (though you also have the
"build-dep" command there, so I'm not sure). Anyway, I would not
proceed.

If you have an unstable/sid "deb" repository, rather than the "deb-src"
repository listed in your sources.list, then I would comment it out.
Get the proper deb-src repository listed (which is listed in the
following url).

The stuff I took from the manual is at http://tinyurl.com/3qkl88x

Try what it says (though don't worry about the "$ dch -i" step, and run
the "apt-get build-dep" step with sudo, as you would with the other
commands that are preceded with a hash-tag).

Good luck.

Mark