Re: LVM: combining two logical volumes, how?

In <[🔎] 20110526220513.GA7052@slimer>, William Hopkins wrote:
>If this is a live filesystem, your best bet is to boot up with a liveCD or
>boot disk, basically any other OS so writes won't be happening to /usr when
>you go to move it into the newly-extended root LV.

On Debian, writing to /usr is a policy violation, unless the administrator has
specifically configured the package to write somewhere under /usr.  This is is
compliance with the FHS.

In any case, my instructions (specifically: remount,ro) would prevent writes
from occurring as well.