Re: [SOLVED] need help with clamav

On Thu, 26 May 2011 00:55:57 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> On Wed, 25 May 2011 11:08:36 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> You can try to manually download the "bytecode.cvd" and then restart
>> the clamd daemon.
>
> I've not tried it since, first, I have no idea would to do with the damn
> thing after download ( :-> ),

You had to drop the file under "/var/lib/clamav".

> and, second, as far as I could see from
> the debug output freshclam did not have any trouble to download it.
> Rather it was  failing attempting to read it.

The downloaded file could have been corrupted somehow although the
download process went fine :-)

>> Are you behind some kind of proxy?
>
> No proxy.
>
> And finally here how I resolved the problem.
>
> I compared /var/lib/clamav folders content in Squeeze and in Lucid. I
> found in Lucid bytecode.cld file which was missing in Squeeze. I gave it
> a try just copying bytecode.cld to Squeeze, and clamav started working
> as a good boy.

Yep, that file (bytecode.cld) is present in my Lenny system.

> So, it looks to me like Squeeze clamav package has a bug. It either does
> not configure clamav upon installation properly or simply missing some
> file/s in package.

AKAIK, that file is not provided by Debian but from ClamAV servers when
you run the update routine. Maybe something went wrong at your side,
maybe a bad mirror with wrong data? :-?

> Thanks Camaleón, you were the only one to reply. And this puzzles me
> BTW. I doubt people do not use clamav in Debian. Is there anything wrong
> with my posting. I'm new to Debian community and willing to learn. :-)

You're welcome, but no replies usually means that no one is experiencing
the same behaviour and that can indicate indeed you were having a
localized problem with a concrete mirror :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón