Re: tp_smapi 0.40-9 incompatible with thinkpad w520?

On Tue, 24 May 2011, CHERN Yen-Chieh wrote:
> power adapter connected, the laptop cannot charge the battery! I think
> the incompatibility of tp_smapi with bios gives the wrong control on
> battery charge threshold.

If the driver did not manage to load in the first place, it should have
had no effect on the box.

Anyway, to fully reset a Lenovo thinkpad:

1. Remove all power supplies, including all batteries.

2. Press the power button at least 10 times, keep it pressed down at
least 4s each time.

3. Press the power button a final time for at least 12 seconds.

That should drain all power that could keep the EC and a few other
circuits alive.  IBM ThinkPads shut down the EC more often (every time
the box is powered off and disconnected from AC), so you usually don't
need the above procedure.

This will clear all configuration data that is not backed by the CMOS
(which stores BIOS/EFI config).  In all Thinkpads from 2009 and before,
this procedure is known to reset all battery thresholds to the factory
default.  I very much doubt it changed in the 2010/2011 models.

  Henrique Holschuh