Gnome terminal termcap problem

I have just cleaned out (ie uninstalled) gnome as gnome3 and re-installed gnome as gnome2 from unstable. I did this whilst sitting in a kde4.6 session.

I then restarted the computer and entered a gnome session

Now that I try and run gnome terminal it starts by outputting

*** VTE ***: Failed to load terminal capabilities from '/etc/termcap'

and leaves me where enter, backspace etc don't work

I have tried to run KDE's konsole within my gnome session and that works perfectly fine.

I am at a loss to know where to look to fix this problem.  Any ideas?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk