Re: ia64 and i386

Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
amd64 is possible. Since from amd64 you can still run x86 code ... but
not the other way around. Is there a drawback when installing an amd64
kernel ?

32 bits is likely to play more video codecs than 64 bits, by virtue of the w64codecs package lacking a bit. And to the best of my knowledge just because you can run 32 bits binaries on a 64 bits kernel doesn't mean w32codecs will actually work. I keep an older 32 bits system around just because of that.

http://debian-multimedia.org/dists/stable/non-free/binary-amd64/package/w64codecs.php
http://debian-multimedia.org/dists/stable/non-free/binary-i386/package/w32codecs.php

Of course this isn't debian's fault, but the fault those companies which create closed and proprietary software.

Regards,
Jeroen

--
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/