Re: SWF (Adobe Flash) support

On 05/18/2011 09:17 AM, Camaleón wrote:
But it's not only video, there are many sites that are completely
rendered and rely on a specific version of the player and you are
completely out of luck if you're using a flash version that does not
match the site requirements.

Yep. I'm particularly nasty when I write to the folks who maintain sites that require Adobe flash for navigation. Requiring a security-hole-ridden piece of proprietary software to be installed on the client's system just for navigation is not acceptable. I gave what for to the folks who managed a Blue Cross (health insurance) Web site a couple of years ago. To my surprise, they fixed the problem! I have to admit, though, that most such folks don't even bother to respond.

I simply won't do business with such folks over their Web sites. I'm willing to put up with the inanity of automated phone systems and the slowness of mail when dealing with them in order to avoid their Internet sites. I'm sure I'm inconveniencing myself more than I'm inconveniencing them, but I don't care. I just refuse to install and use the junkware on any system that I maintain. It's not a religious thing. I'm just stubborn.

Obviously, I know lots of folks who use it all. I don't chide them about it, but they do get an earful if they ask my avoidance of it. This has actually turned out to be an easy way for me to avoid feeling obligated to help people who ask me for help configuring and maintaining their systems. If I explain that I won't help them maintain systems running proprietary software (I'll make an exception for firmware, sometimes.) they usually shrug their shoulders and ask someone else -- which is just peach with me.

;-)

Did I mention that I'm a bit of a curmudgeon?

Best regards,
Gilbert