Re: Which WLAN driver to use?

Elias Diem, 15.05.2011:
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 02:24:34PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 12 May 2011 14:20:43 +0200, Elias Diem wrote:
> >
> > > I installed Debian 6 on my HP Pavilion Netbook. Unfortunately the
> > > WiFi Card is not working. I plan to install a driver manually but
> > > don't know which driver to grab.
> > >
> > > lspci -vv tells me
> > >
> > > 02:00.0 Network controller: RaLink Device 539f Subsystem:
> > > Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1637
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > Google says you own a "rt5390" chipset based adapter.
> >
> > It seems that support for that card was added to the upstream code
> > just a few month ago:
> >
> > http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com
> > /2011-February/003172.html
> >

> Thanks for the above link. I read the post but I don't know what it means. What
> should I do now exactly? Update to a newer kernel?

rt2x00 is the free software driver for your card.  This should work but
you might need a new kernel and you might need to edit one line in the
driver.  A few days ago there was a post on the rt2x00-users mailing
list, where an HP netbook user said he made a patch to get the driver to
recognize his 539F card:

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2011-May/003786.html

You can also try asking the rt2x00-users mailing list for help.