Ralink driver connection, speed problems

Hi. Yesterday i sent a message about having trouble with finding the driver for my ralink card. I got help with that but now
its "working" but not in any good way.

The card is:

05:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Ralink corp. RT3092 Wireless 802.11n 2T/2R PCIe [1814:3092]

and Im using the rt2800pci driver. The machine itself is running 2.6.38-2-amd64 #1.

First, i cant see my 802.11n 5Ghz network at all, it doesnt show up at all, with "iwlist scan" or just looking
at the wicd listings.

Second, even in the 802.11g 2.4Ghz network, i get a very strong signal and have no problem connecting, but the
speed is unusably slow. At best it will be 10K/s, but usually more like 3K/s, and it stalls all the time.

In both cases the AP is very close physically, theres a strong signal, and another machine running Ubuntu (with
a different card) has no problem.

How do i figure out whats going on? I can post whatever additional info will help diagnose this. I did google
but didnt find anything helpful.

Thanks.