Re: Switch to LILO from Grub2 ?

On 2011-05-14 22:14 +0200, Russell Gadd wrote:

> I have had a number of problems with using grub2 (running Debian
> Squeeze) and am thinking of switching to LILO. I'd like to achieve
> these objectives:
>
> 1. use a boot manager (BootitNG) in the MBR which will set up the
> required partition table and pass control to LILO located in the root
> partition of the OS to be run.
> 2. image the root partition to a file, then restore the image to a
> different location on the hard drive in order to clone the system.
> When I used grub-legacy to do this I didn't have to change anything
> for it to boot ok but grub2 won't do this (hence my reason for trying
> LILO).

This will definitely not work.  LILO stores the location of kernels
(their sectors on the disk) in a map file, and if you move those around
it won't be able to find them anymore.

> Also I'd like to avoid using UUIDs - I think this will be necessary if
> I am to achieve 2 above.

You could also use labels, but device names can obviously not be used in
that situation.  Beware that both with UUIDs and labels your old
partition is likely to be used unless you delete or reformat it.

Sven