Re: Waking from the Dead

On Sat, 14 May 2011 12:43:22 -0400, Tom Allison wrote:

> I have some computers here that haven't been turned on for what looks
> like 2 years and 3 months.
>
> And so there are a few things I need refreshers on.  But I'll get to
> those later.  Right now I am not sure where all my sources are or should
> be.
>
> ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ has problems somewhere with the labels stable,
> main, contrib, non-free.

What problems? :-?

The only issue I could expect would be that while you are using an old
Debian version now "stable" points to "squeeze" and that can give you
lots of conflicts and problems.

> is http://securty.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib still viable?

Yep... well, it should be:

http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
            ^
(you missed the "i" of "security")

Also, be sure you really don't want to use the codenames instead (lenny/
squeeze...)

> After I get through the updates from Debian something (not sure what
> version I have) I'll start working on the rest.

To check the current version:

lsb_release -a

> Mostly right now I'm failing all over the place on Authentication.
> That's my biggest issue today.

Are you thinking in performing an upgrade or installing a new version
from scratch... or maybe jump to Ubuntu (just kidding :-P)?

Now seriously, if you are think in upgrading it's recommended that you
first read the corresponding Release Notes.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón