Re: How to use serial ports?

Tapio,

From:	Tapio Lehtonen <tapio.lehtonen@dnainternet.net>
Date:	Fri, 13 May 2011 16:04:30 +0300
> I try to connect two pc hosts with serial ports with a null modem cable.

PPP over a null modem and through modems and telephone lines have worked
here for years.  Configurations here.
  http://carnot.yi.org/NetworksPage.html
mgetty provides ringback on the modem.  Otherwise plain getty should work.

Recently the Dalton machine was replaced with different hardware and a
fresh installation of Squeeze.  PPP has yet to work.  Currently the null
modem is giving this in /var/log/syslog.

May 13 08:56:14 dalton kernel: [   80.425375] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
May 13 08:56:14 dalton pppd[2046]: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
May 13 08:56:14 dalton pppd[2046]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.

Previously, PPP would refer to /etc/passwd but seems to have forgotten that.
A glitch between mgetty and pppd?  Something new in authentication?

> ... starting kermit on both ends, ...

I've never used kermit in linux.  In /etc/inittab on one machine you
could start getty.  Then try a simple terminal emulator on the other machine.
If that fails check /var/log/syslog.

Regards,             ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132.  bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca