Re: rootfs on SSD

On Mi, 11 mai 11, 12:05:01, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> I tested three setups:
>
> 1) Setup: rootflags and UUID fstab entry (the one I had before):
> Result: no configured options for root filesystem
>
> rd@blackbox:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
> BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem
> root=UUID=4a4eb948-2d2b-4188-96ae-76a3776ae69c ro quiet elevator=noop
> rootflags=noatime,discard,data=ordered,errors=remount-ro
> rd@blackbox:~$
>
> from /etc/fstab:
> UUID="4a4eb948-2d2b-4188-96ae-76a3776ae69c"     /                    ext4
> noatime,discard,data=ordered,errors=remount-ro 0       1
>
> rd@blackbox:~$ mount
> rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This doesn't make sense. Could you try removing the quotes from the
UUID="" entry in fstab?

> The result of the third configuration (and to some extend also the first
> configuration) is unexpected for me in the bug report from Ted Tso:
>
> "[...] Debian simply doesn't support the mount options for the root file
> system in /etc/fstab having any effect on how the root file system is
> mounted.  The root file system is mounted by the kernel, and the mount
> options used by the kernel are specified by the rootflags= option on
> the kernel's boot command line. [...]"
>
> Does anybody understand how both, my data and Ted's report make sense?
>
> Can we be sure that the output of the mount command reflects the system state
> (or does it even display wrong information in some configurations I did)?

AFAICT 'mount' displays (more or less) the contents of /etc/mtab, which
may under certain conditions not be up-to-date. /proc/mounts is more
accurate, but I doubt in your case this is an issue.

As for the options in /etc/fstab being applied or not, if you read the
thread on debian-devel, it was pointed out that Debian's initscript(s)
will remount the root fs with the options from /etc/fstab, it's just
that some options can not be changed on a *remount*. For those
particular options you will have to use either rootflags or tune2fs.

Regards,
Andrei