Re: Re (2): So much for Skype.

On 05/11/2011 10:41 PM, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
From:	Chris Davies<chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk>
Date:	Wed, 11 May 2011 21:10:29 +0100
My favourite software SIP client is twinkle.
Yes, Twinkle keeps configurations and contact lists in plain text
and is economical with resources.

A POTS gateway is available from any of several companies.  Any
phone number can be reached at vary small expense.  Who needs a
POTS phone [flippantly]?

Regards,            ... Peter E.

I never heard of Twinkle til today, but I'll have to look into it.
In the meantime, my cable connection includes phone service, which is
"almost" free--they jack up the price of the rest of the service if
you don't have the phone connection--but I can call anywhere in the US
or Canada or Puerto Rico and talk as long as I want, for no extra
charge.  It turns out that Verizon zaps me with extra charges if I
call as little as 20 miles, and again if I call 50 miles--I don't know
the exact breaking points, but it's a PITA.  So there is something to
POTS after all. Just not Verizon's version.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley