Re: debian packages

On 5/11/2011 4:03 AM, Widen-Damian Ivanov wrote:
Hi all,
I'm planning to install Linux on a mid-amount of computers (for now 30-40) and I'm searching for the right distribution. As I would like to package also some stuff for internal use, so I tried to with fedora and with ubuntu and debian testing. I had no problems at all with fedora, since their packages .srpm contains a directory where I can just change things i a package and rebuild it. I don't know why (may I'm too stupid :( but it was too complex for me) I could't manage it on ubuntu. Also while testing I found I can set a dependency on a file
one file to control the process of building
delta RPM's for less bandwith pgp packages So is it worth it trying again, since the most wide-spread linux "ubuntu" uses deb, to try again until I get it ? Did I miss something .rpm can not ?
Thanks in advance
Viden

Viden, I _believe_ that you can still use RPM with Debian as well, as long as you use alien to convert the packages between RPM and DEB. Also, if you want to build your own packages on a Debian based machine, then you can use the checkinstall utility to built both RPMs and DEBs without any issues. It's what I use all the time and have no problems with it. Not only does it build the binaries and make the package files, but it also installs the package for you as well.