Re: Problem with chmod

Gorka <gorkalinux@yahoo.es> wrote:
> I have got Ubuntu 11.04 installed on my pendrive. In /ME folder I have
> got some files.bin to upgrade the BIOS an so.
> The problem is that I can't execute them. It says I have no
> permissions.These are 7001 (last number refers back to the sticky bit)
> I'm trying to set 'sudo chmod 777 *', but I can't.

Gorka <gorkalinux@yahoo.es> wrote:
> I have formated with FAT32 and then followed these instructions ...
> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

There's nothing in there, that I can see, that refers to upgrading the BIOS.

The filesystem containing /ME is FAT. On FAT filesystems chmod doesn't
do what many people expect - and that's what's happening in this
case. Permission bits are mostly faked, so you either need to remount
the filesystem to provide execute permission (see mount(1) and its "mode"
keyword) or else copy the files out of the /ME filesystem onto a fully
functional filesystem, such as one built as ext3.

Chris