Re: Disk Space Issues

Hi Lisi,

Lisi wrote:
On Monday 09 May 2011 09:48:44 Daniel Linux wrote:
What you would do after you found a full filesystem? It is just a general
question that was asked in my class of operating systems and nobody had an
answer.

I currently have this problem on two of my disks. As I see it, I have 3 realistic choices: delete enough stuff to free up a realistic percentage if the disks; buy myself 2 new larger disks; and copy a large chunk of stuff I want to keep, but only need rarely, onto another (external?) disk. I am trying the last first, and have bought an external drive. But I haven't yet done it, and may not succeed in moving enough!

Don't count on an external drive surviving. If the data is important to you, then you might want multiple external drives and have one of them off-site -- perhaps swap with a family member or colleague?

Data is usually best on some form of protective RAID (not striping unless mirrored as well) -- I am preferring RAID6 if I have enough drives [6+ makes it worthwhile], RAID1 next and as a third choice, RAID5. But don't forget ... RAID in itself is *NOT* a backup, it simply protects against single [up to 2 drives with RAID6] drive failure.

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan