Mystery on my laptop: KDE + nvidia + X + wheezy/sid

Hi,

I originally posted a thread to debian-kde, thread located at http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2011/04/msg00140.html. I am hoping someone here might have some idea.

The problem in a nutshell is that my workstation is running sid and my laptop (Dell Latitude E6500) running sid. Both have nvidia cards, and are running the non-free drivers (260.19.44-1). I upgraded the desktop to kde 4.6.2 after it hit the experimental-snapshots. The upgrade went perfectly, and I am running 4.6.2 on the workstation. On the laptop, things did not go so well...Once I upgraded, any time I started a KDE app (be it the K menu, or any KDE app) it would crash X or the nvidia driver or something (the backtrace is listed in the thread above).

I thought it was something in kde 4.6.2, but I rebuilt the laptop, upgraded to sid, left kde 4.4.5 on it, and had the same problem. Ended up rebuilding again and leaving it running squeeze until I can track down the problem. Meanwhile, the desktop is running fine...I verified the versions of nvidia, kernel, xorg, kde, etc.

Any ideas where the problem might lie?

Thanks,
--b