Re: Now cannot ping print server from second machine

Dne, 07. 05. 2011 17:37:09 je AG napisal(a):

Hi Klistvud

Yes, that is the gateway/ router IP address - I just checked with the provider.

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. Providers have been wrong in the past. The ultimate check would be: can you reach your router's configuration page by specifying 192.168.1.254 in your browser?

Yes, the DNS address given is accurate - domain names resolve fine (once I can get connected).

Well, AFAIK the domain names may be resolving fine because dhcp finds a working DNS server for you. The specified DNS servers (as per your static configuration) "may" still be wrong. You have to understand that dhcp and static are quite separate: once you enable *dhcp*, all other entries in your /etc/network/interfaces get disregarded, and any errors therein will not be picked up (and may thus pass completely unnoticed). The reverse is also true: as soon as you enable *static* no auto-configuration is taking place anymore -- you'll have to get your address, network, gateway, broadcast and other stanzas exactly right to make it work. In this configuration, potential errors in your /etc/network/interfaces will *not* pass unnoticed at all.

I apologize if you already know that, didn't want to sound paternalizing ;)

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.