Re: Now cannot ping print server from second machine

On 07/05/11 14:24, Klistvud wrote:
Dne, 07. 05. 2011 14:34:48 je AG napisal(a):
On 07/05/11 13:26, Klistvud wrote:
Dne, 07. 05. 2011 13:36:07 je AG napisal(a):
Hello (again)

I don't know if this is related to the connectivity issues reported earlier, but now when trying to print from a second machine, I am unable to.

The set up is my machine runs the CUPS print server and is directly connected to a USB printer. I used to be able to print from the second (client?) machine, but since this issue following a problem-riddled reboot this is no longer possible.

I have tried to ping the server machine (192.168.1.40) from the client machine (192.168.1.29) but cannot. I have stopped all the firewalls (firestarter) on the *.*.*.40 machine and still no dice. The machines are still connected via a hub and that hasn't changed since before I rebooted.

The client machine (*.*.*.29) can access the Internet via the same hub, but packets are being dropped when that machine tries to ping the server. The server machine can now access the Net, and can ping the client machine.

Any thoughts on what I should check out for?

The IP of your server. On the server, issue 'ifconfig' to see if it still has the former IP (192.168.1.40).

You're right! Now my IP has been changed to 192.168.1.64 !!!

I'm way confused now - this has always been set at 192.168.1.40 so how has this been changed to *.*.*.64 and how do I ensure that the client machine can keep track of any further changes to this IP?

Is this IP change due to having changed the stanza in /etc/network/interfaces from what was iface eth0 inet *static* to iface eth0 inet *dhcp* ?

Absolutely yes. The new IP gets issued from the dhcp server on your LAN now, it's not fixed (static) anymore. It's also not guaranteed to be the same after every reboot, it will be as the dhcp server sees fit.

Great! So how then can I stop dhcp from randomly assigning a new IP address to my machine so that the client machine can see the server AND enable my (server) machine to access the Net after a reboot?

This used to work fine - now it's borked and I don't know why or how, nor more importantly how to put it back to how it was before the package update that kicked in.

Cheers

AG