Re: Now cannot ping print server from second machine

Dne, 07. 05. 2011 14:34:48 je AG napisal(a):
On 07/05/11 13:26, Klistvud wrote:
Dne, 07. 05. 2011 13:36:07 je AG napisal(a):
Hello (again)

I don't know if this is related to the connectivity issues reported earlier, but now when trying to print from a second machine, I am unable to.

The set up is my machine runs the CUPS print server and is directly connected to a USB printer. I used to be able to print from the second (client?) machine, but since this issue following a problem-riddled reboot this is no longer possible.

I have tried to ping the server machine (192.168.1.40) from the client machine (192.168.1.29) but cannot. I have stopped all the firewalls (firestarter) on the *.*.*.40 machine and still no dice. The machines are still connected via a hub and that hasn't changed since before I rebooted.

The client machine (*.*.*.29) can access the Internet via the same hub, but packets are being dropped when that machine tries to ping the server. The server machine can now access the Net, and can ping the client machine.

Any thoughts on what I should check out for?

The IP of your server. On the server, issue 'ifconfig' to see if it still has the former IP (192.168.1.40).

You're right! Now my IP has been changed to 192.168.1.64 !!!

I'm way confused now - this has always been set at 192.168.1.40 so how has this been changed to *.*.*.64 and how do I ensure that the client machine can keep track of any further changes to this IP?

That'll be hard to do. DHCP is a dynamic protocol, changing IPs as it sees fit. One way would be to revert to *static* instead of *dhcp* (with all the related issues you had before); the other way would be to use a IP-reservation-capable router as your dhcp server. If you use a router to issue dhcp services, you may want to check out if there is a way to configure IP reservation on the router configuration page. IP reservation is a way to "lock" a given IP to a given MAC address (MAC is a unique hardware network card identifier), ensuring your client will get the same IP after every reboot. Not all routers have that capability, however.

Is this IP change due to having changed the stanza in /etc/network/interfaces from what was iface eth0 inet *static* to iface eth0 inet *dhcp* ?

Thanks

AG