Re: Problems setting up USB printer with CUPS [SOLVED]

On 07/05/11 11:35, Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 07 May 2011 03:30:17 +0100, AG wrote:

In addition to connectivity problems, I've been having problems setting
up my USB Epson printer with CUPS.  For one thing, the CUPS admin
interface has changed since I last did this, and CUPS doesn't detect the
printer as a local printer only giving me 3 options - scsi printer, HP
printer HP fax (yes, I've checked - it is plugged in and turned on,
etc.).
(...)

Hi Camaleón
USB printers should be auto-magically detected by CUPS

That's what was puzzling the heck out of me too!

so I would first
check if the printer has been detected/configured by the system (dmesg |
grep usb).

Good pointer - thanks. No it hadn't been picked up. So I replugged it into another USB port and hey presto!

Why that port stopped working for the printer but now (still) works fine for a USB data storage hub, I don't know.

Given the issue with connectivity (sorted out with the help of Brian & others), this printer issue (now sorted thanks to you) and why the desktop appearance settings for Gnome were so borked after I rebooted is a complete mystery to me and don't seem to have anything in common on the face of it.

Anyway - issue sorted, and thanks again.

All the best

AG