Re: grub-probe: error: cannot stat `/dev/root'

On Fri, 06 May 2011 10:44:21 -0700, CACook wrote:

> This just started after my most recent (very painful) dist-upgrade.  It
> seems that BTRFS is not compatible with grub and Debian.  I very nearly
> lost my whole system because of this catastrophe.
>
> Does anyone know the nature of the error and how to fix?

You're asking for so much :-)

First, the btrfs filesystem is still very experimental so only use it if
you really (I mean *really*) know what you are doing and also know how to
deal when things go wrong. I would even expect data loss (directly or
indirectly related to the usage of this filesystem) so make daily backups
if needed.

Second, write a bug report at Debian BTS. Every distribution applies
different patches/quirks for GRUB and that can make a difference (meaning
that the issue can be only visible in Debian based distros while it does
not present in others).

And third, where are you getting the above error (at booting, when
running grub-something...?).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón