Re: Re (2): Need help setting up a home LAN

Eike Lantzsch wrote:
On Monday 02 May 2011 16:24:36 peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
From:	Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>
Date:	Mon, 02 May 2011 12:55:37 -0600

It is crazy to write such misleading error messages. I did, in fact,
have JavaScript disabled ...
Ouch!  A friend returned a new router to the vendor after
encountering such a bad proprietary interface.

An elegant solution is to assemble a Linux router based
on a salvaged desktop or laptop machine.

I always found setting up an OpenBSD router much easier IMHO and documentation is excellent.

[snip]
Regards,         ... Peter E.

Best regards
Eike

For a basic firewall, m0n0wall is quick and about as easy as they come. Runs on a variety of hardware, including an ordinary PC with two NICs. It's FreeBSD based.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP