Re: Trouble entering composed characters

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 09:14:55 -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> I have trouble entering keyboard compositions in many, but not all
> applications. For example, when entering dead_iota + a (which I have
> configured to give adiaresis in ~/.XCompose) gnome terminal just beeps
> and does nothing. Other affected applications are gedit, icedove and
> LibreOffice. Emacs, on the other hand, does not show any problems and
> correctly inserts adiaresis.

(...)

All of the failing apps are GTK2+ based... does it work with another
combination, let's say "<dead_iota> <Shift_L> <a>" (what I'm trying with
that is to find out a possible collision with another system-wide
predefined key combo).

Hum... maybe I'm guessing too much but, have you tried to setup an "us-
intl¹" keyboard layout? I say this because getting the diaeresis
characters (ä, Ä, ë, Ë...) is easier with it as there is no need to
define specific composing combination :-?

¹http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#US-International

Greetings,

--
Camaleón