Dovecot Problems on Sid

Updating to the Sid version was a catastrophe--flagged all kinds of superseded syntax warning which were flagged as errors when I tried to edit them into the conf file. Commented out, got listening errors for various 9## ports.

So I downgraded to the testing version and used a backed up conf file.

No startup errors, dmesg, nothing, but "localhost refuses connection" when trying to access imap on the system. From outside, "server not found."

Nothing like this is listed in the bugs. Has anyone encountered such problems, fix them?