Re: Need help with post-squeeze problems

On 2011-04-28 18:39 +0200, Brad Alexander wrote:

> I got my daughter's netbook upgraded to squeeze, however, there are some
> issues that I have encountered. I did it per the squeeze release notes, the
> audit, etc, then apt-get update on the new sources.lists, apt-get upgrade,
> upgraded kernel and udev, rebooted, then did the dist-upgrade. The
> dist-upgrade removed a bunch of packages:
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   build-essential cervisia cupsddk-drivers debhelper dh-make g++ g++-4.3 gcc
>   gcc-4.3 gettext gnuift gnuift-perl imagemagick intltool-debian kde-trinity
>   kdemultimedia-trinity kdewebdev-trinity kernel-package kommander-trinity
>   libarts1-xine-trinity libblas3gf libcvsservice0 libdatrie0 libept0
>   libgfortran3 libgomp1 libgraphviz4 liblapack3gf libmagick10 librpm4.4
>   libstdc++6-4.3-dev libsuitesparse-3.1.0 libxine1 libxine1-misc-plugins
>   libxine1-plugins libxml-libxml-common-perl linux-headers-2.6.32-5-686
>   madwifi-source po-debconf python-glade2 python-gtk2 python-notify
>   python-numeric quanta-trinity wicd-gtk xserver-xorg-video-all
>   xserver-xorg-video-cyrix xserver-xorg-video-imstt xserver-xorg-video-nsc
>   xserver-xorg-video-tseng xserver-xorg-video-v4l xserver-xorg-video-vga
>   xulrunner-1.9

This should not have happened.  Are there some packages that you had put
on hold?

> Now, when I try to install some of the packages that got removed, apt-get
> does not want to reinstall the dependencies.

That's why they got removed in the first place, I suppose.

> I'm not sure how far down the
> rabbit hole I need to go.

With apt-get you can go as far as you like, it will never output any
useful diagnostics why it does not install the package you want.

> Can someone tell me why the dependencies are not being installed and how I
> can fix this? I dom't necessarily want to reboot, at least until I get her
> wicd back.

> [root@rubicon apt]# apt-get install wicd-gtk python-gtk2 python-glade2
> python-numpy
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  python-numpy : Depends: libblas3gf but it is not going to be installed or
>                          libblas.so.3gf or
>                          libatlas3gf-base but it is not going to be
> installed
>                 Depends: libgfortran3 (>= 4.3) but it is not going to be
> installed
>                 Depends: liblapack3gf but it is not going to be installed or
>                          liblapack.so.3gf or
>                          libatlas3gf-base but it is not going to be
> installed
> E: Broken packages
>
> Can someone tell me why the dependencies are not being installed and how I
> can fix this? I dom't necessarily want to reboot, at least until I get her
> wicd back.

Try using aptitude instead of apt-get, first in dry-run mode as a normal
user:

$ aptitude -s -V -D -o "Aptitude::Delete-Unused=false" install wicd-gtk

If the suggested solution does not suit you, press 'n' at the prompt and
see what else aptitude has to offer.

Sven