Re: How naked am I?

28/04/2011 15:57, pecondon@mesanetworks.net wrote:

> This morning, on this newly installed version of Squeeze, both  192.168.1.1
> and http://www.routerlogin.net worked at getting connected to the router.
>
> Yesterday, before the install of Squeeze neither worked.
>
> My puzzle is why the old install of Wheezy did not work, and failed with
> pretty much the same symptoms as I experienced with the old, DLink router.
>
> Keep in mind that the installation of this new software was done with a
> router that had not been configured by me in any particular whatsoever.
> I had never set it up with the parameters that were given to me by my ISP,
> or any of the old drill that I had come to believe was a necessary part of
> IP security. All that is gone, and replaced by something else. I'm hoping
> to find information about what broke my old router and forced me to install
> this new different software.
>
> Thanks, but the puzzle remains.

OK, if I get this correctly your old setup stopped working all of a
sudden, your tests showed that the old router was the culprit. Let's
assume your router suffered a hardware failure, if the airport base
(that I know nothing about) had kept working this would have hinted a
problem with the wheezy boxes, but since it went silent too let's assume
the router died.

Then you go on buying a new router, plug everything in and... nothing.
It means the wheezy boxes can't get an IP address from the router.
You install a new box, using the default installer dhcp setup, and it
works, it means the router dhcp server works OK, your wheezy boxes have
something in their configuration that prevent them from getting an IP
from the router.

How did the wheezy boxes connect to the router ? Do you use
network-manager, a custom /etc/network/interfaces file ? Could you post
that file and the result of

ifconfig -a   (trim the mac "HWaddr" address if you want to be paranoid)

on the non connecting boxes ?