Re: Patching problem, Obmenu

Thanks a lot. It really helped me. But, probably next time I would prefer to use obmenu with "python2.x /usr/bin/obmenu" command, until everything sorts itself out :)) On the other hand, learning new things is allways good :)

On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 21:02 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
In <[🔎] 1303942683.14504.21.camel@eren-deb64>, Debiantr.WP wrote:
>Can someone help me with patching the file given on Debian's bug site:
>
>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=623012
>
>I don't know what to do. Checked how to patch it on the internet, but I
>think I am doing smt wrong.

cd ~ &&
mkdir -p build &&
cd build &&
apt-get source obmenu &&
cd obmenu-1.0 &&
wget http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=22;filename=623012.diff;att=1;bug=623012 \
	-O - | patch -p1 &&
dch -v 1.0-1+b1+patch-623012.22 \
	'Applied python2.5-removal patch from bug 623012 message 22.' &&
dpkg-buildpackage -tc -uc -us

You should have a shiny new, properly versioned .deb that you can install
using dpkg.  (It is probably in the parent directory.)

[The "wget ... | patch ..." line applies the patch.]

If that works, you could even prepare an NMU fairly simply, by using (dch -e)
to add the "Closes: 623012" and change the version to 1.0-1.1, then using
(dch -r -D unstable) to "finalize" the changelog and (dpkg-buildpackage -tc)
to build the files to be uploaded -- a signed changes file, source package,
and binary package.

["dch" is in the devscripts package; "dpkg-buildpackage" is in the dpkg-dev
package.]

Even if you didn't want to do an NMU (or shouldn't because of policy), those
files could be attached to the bug report for use by the maintainer and/or
other users with the same problem.