Re: Broken insserv?

On 2011-04-27 22:47 +0200, Brad Alexander wrote:

> I just want to make sure this isn't a show stopper before I pull the
> trigger. I have mostly upgraded my daughter's netbook from lenny to squeeze.
> I took the conservative route, cleaning up packages, changing sources.list,
> doing an update and upgrade, upgrading the kernel and udev and rebooting.
> All I have left is the dist-upgrade...
>
> However, an apt-get -s dist-upgrade showed me repeated
>
> E: Conf Broken insserv
>
> messages. Is this a show-stopper or just a nuisance error message?

The latter.  When you actually do the dist-upgrade, it will work (or at
least not hit this particular problem).  The insserv package in squeeze
breaks the lenny sysv-rc package, while the squeeze sysv-rc package
depends on the new insserv -- a kind of dependency loop that requires
temporarily auto-deconfiguring sysv-rc.

Sven