Re: docx; was Re^2: OTF conversion without OpenOffice

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 18:28:29 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Sunday 24 April 2011 16:38:23 Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 08:27:33 -0800, peasthope wrote:
>> > MS invented docx.  Now when John Doe wants to say "Summer Vacation
>> > Planning Meeting.  Bring your coffee mug to the boardroom at 3:00."
>> > he can send an archive containing a hierarchy of a dozen or so files.
>> > Several kB in total.
>>
>> No, indeed. To avoid that tell (instruct) "Mr. Doe" to deliver a PDF
>> document instead and problem solved ;-)
>
> Why not .txt?  Even simpler, will retain all the information and be
> readable with almost anything.

How about images and text formatting? With plain text files you miss them
(html should be a nice alternative but again, images have to be enclosed
apart) ;-)

PDF being an ISO standard is a very good alternative for handling
documents that do not need to be edited but viewed and it features very
good compression methods for images.

> I suppose at a pinch .rtf, but I don't
> see that any formatting is necessary for that information.

RTF has a big drawback: it generates very big documents not suitable for
sending them attached to an e-mail ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón