Where do I get a list of all the fonts in my system?

Earlier, in my .Xresources I had the following because I got this font
from xfontsel

URxvt.font: -*-terminus-*-*-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-u

However, later in the urxvt man page, I found an example of this and
it looks much prettier than the terminus font displayed above.

URxvt.font:xft:Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:pixelsize=13

I could not find this Bitstream Vera Sans Mono font in xfontsel.

I tried it searching it in /usr/share/fonts directory too but found nothing:

$ find /usr/share/fonts -iname "*mono*"
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeMono.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeMonoOblique.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeMonoBold.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeMonoBoldOblique.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation/LiberationMono-Regular.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation/LiberationMono-Italic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation/LiberationMono-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation/LiberationMono-Bold.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Andale_Mono.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSansMono-Oblique.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSansMono-BoldOblique.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSansMono-Bold.ttf

How do we get a list of all the fonts that we have?

I am using Wheezy and fonts directory looks like this:

$ ls /usr/share/fonts/
cmap  truetype  type1  X11