Re: lenny to squeeze dbus-daemon

Stan Hoeppner (stan@hardwarefreak.com on 2011-04-22 13:12 -0500):
> ~$ aptitude why dbus
> i   libdbus-1-3 Recommends dbus
>
> ~$ aptitude why libdbus-1-3
> i   dbus Depends libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.0.2)
>
> It appears my only dependency is circular.
Not necessarily. Sadly, aptitude why only discovers one reason, not
*all* reasons. More specifically, it stops its search at the first
non-automatically installed package.

> Aptitude says both are
> optional and not installed automatically.  But, considering dbus was
> not part of my Lenny system, nor Etch before it, it sure seems that
> it was automatically installed by the Squeeze upgrade.
Sadly, a dist-upgrade does not do a good job of keeping "automatically
installed" packages automatic. Try the following:
# aptitude markauto libdbus-1-3
$ aptitude why dbus

> So, my question stands.  Does (headless) Squeeze need the dbus-daemon
> for something that Lenny did not, or can I safely remove it?
$ aptitude -s purge dbus
should give you that answer.

On my two headless boxes, dbus is not installed, so it is not *always*
required. But like other have said, it really depends on the services
you're running on that box.

Regards,
Arno