Gdm login failing "I could not start your session"

How can I restore full gnome login? Only a gnome-failsafe session
works now.

/var/log/gdm/:0.log shows:
FATAL: Module fbcon not found
SELinux disabled on system, no enabling in X

$HOME/.xsession-errors shows:
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
load s .profile
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Executing gnome-session failed, will try to run x-terminal-emulator

I may have deleted files accidentally (sudo-ed too fast). But I've already upgraded lenny to squeeze and then re-installed many gnome packages. The problem remains.

Thanks for your help.

S. Taylor