Re: How to automate the upgrade of openssh-server?

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 05:49:08PM -0700, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:

Hey there,

> I'm trying to automate the setup of an Ubuntu Server 10.04 64bit
> system. I am unable to run apt-get upgrade sucessfully (i.e. without
> manual intervention). Every time it blocks because of openssh-server
> (and portmap):
>
> Setting up openssh-server (1:5.3p1-3ubuntu6) ...
>
> Configuration file `/etc/init/ssh.conf'
>  ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
>  ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
>   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
>    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
>    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
>      D     : show the differences between the versions
>      Z     : background this process to examine the situation
>  The default action is to keep your current version.
> *** ssh.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
>
> I tried '-y' and '--force-yes'. I tried using aptitude instead of
> apt-get. I tried aptitude's safe-upgrade. I tried setting debconf to
> Noninteractive. Nothing seems to make any difference. How do I make
> sure the upgrade continues automatically?

See the dpkg manual (man dpkg), specifically:

  confnew: If a conffile has been modified  always  install
  the   new   version   without   prompting,   unless   the
  --force-confdef is also  specified,  in  which  case  the
  default action is preferred.

  confold:  If a conffile has been modified always keep the
  old version without prompting, unless the --force-confdef
  is  also  specified,  in which case the default action is
  preferred.

  confdef: If a conffile has been  modified  always  choose
  the default action. If there is no default action it will
  stop  to  ask  the   user   unless   --force-confnew   or
  --force-confold is also been given, in which case it will
  use that to decide the final action.

It's possible to pass these options to apt, for instance

  apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" upgrade

Hope that solves your problem.

--
Sincerely,
Bjorn Michelsen