Re: How do I get apt-get autoremove to NOT insist on removing my entire desktop? Plus possible help with digital camera that worked with Lenny, but not in Squeeze.

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 09:51:24AM -0700, Steven Sciame wrote:

> This originates from me trying to figure out why my digital camera doesn't work well with Squeeze (It was absolutely perfect in Lenny)  I submitted a couple of bug reports back in february http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=612699   and    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=612701

             .........snip.........

> I figured I would remove gthumb and shotwell and install one or the other to see if one would work.  I got the same performance as described above. Apt-get seemed to not be bothered by me dong this last night, but this morning it is an issue.
>
> autoremove is insisting on removing my whole desktop and... :
> debtop:/home/steven# apt-get purge shotwell
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:

          ........snip......

>   python-httplib2 gnome-system-log file-roller python-rdflib
>   libboost-python1.42.0 remmina libgdata-common sound-juicer libmusicbrainz3-6
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   shotwell*
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> After this operation, 4,727 kB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
> Abort.

Why would you want to run "apt-get autoremove"? My understanding is that
it's optional.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279