Re: New to Linux

--- On Fri, 4/15/11, Krzysztof Bieniasz <krzysztof.t.bieniasz@gmail.com> wrote:

> > FWIW: O'Reilly published a
> Special Edition book LEARNING DEBIAN
> > GNU/LINUX (c. 1999).  It was a very good
> introduction and step-by-step
> > guide to installing and using Debian.  I got it
> for free from the Debian
> > booth at Las Vegas COMDEX 1999.  This was the
> first year Linux had a
> > major presence at COMDEX.  Having the Linux
> people all in one exhibit
> > hall greatly simplified my investigations of making
> the switch from the
> > Amiga. I still have the book.  However,
> ultimately, I chose Mandrake 7
> > as my first distro.  Debian was not a distro for
> the noobie, either then
> > or now.
>
> I wouldn't agree. I started with Debian being a complete
> noob and I
> manage somehow.

A lot has changed in 12 years.  Very few Linux distros back then were noob-friendly.  (Mandrake was one that was.)  They were put together by computer techies for computer techies.

> Actually some of my first experiences were
> with compiling
> the kernel because the one bundled with stable (Lenny)
> didn't have the
> module for my wireless interface :). And I managed to get

Your average Linux noob doesn't know about compiling kernels.  They mostly come from Windows where such a thing isn't done.

> it to work then
> although I suppose the process must've looked funny. I
> wouldn't try that
> today though... Nowadays just about any distro is
> noob-friendly enough,
> perhaps excluding Gentoo and Slackware.

Like I said, "A Lot has changed in 12 years".  Debian is more friendly today than yesterday as are most distros, but there are others that are friendlier, a lot friendlier.

So, I stand by my initial statement that Debian is not suitable for the Linux firsttimer.  I would never recommend it to a noobie.  With Debian, you need to know, at least somewhat, what you're doing.