Re: New to Linux

--- On Fri, 4/15/11, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM,
> Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > --- On Thu, 4/14/11, Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> wrote:
> >> >
> > FWIW: O'Reilly published a Special Edition book
> LEARNING DEBIAN GNU/LINUX (c. 1999).  It was a very good
> introduction and step-by-step guide to installing and using
> Debian.  I got it for free from the Debian booth at Las
> Vegas COMDEX 1999.  This was the first year Linux had a
> major presence at COMDEX.  Having the Linux people all in
> one exhibit hall greatly simplified my investigations of
> making the switch from the Amiga. I still have the book.
>  However, ultimately, I chose Mandrake 7 as my first
> distro.  Debian was not a distro for the noobie, either
> then or now.
> >

> yeah, but mandrake isn't a distro for any sane human :)

At the time--circa 2000--Mandrake was the overall recommended distro for the Linux tyro.  The most "plug-n-playable" distro of the day.  I used it through version 9, IIRC, before tackling Slackware to really learn the ins-n-outs of Linux.

> that's ok, because back then, i think i was upgrading to
> slackware 4
> (or maybe they made the jump in versions to 7 at that
> time). watch a
> newbie try to get x windows up on that stuff - that was
> fun.

I think 7 debuted late 1999 or early 2000.  Right about the time I began checking out Linux as my new OS of choice.