Squeeze Gateway After Several Hours LAN Packets Drop

Hi, I have squeeze running as a gateway doing masquerading between eth0 and eth1 using shorewall and dnsmasq. For some reason, after around 13-17 hours, eth1 just starts dropping packets and machines behind the gateway take 5-10 seconds to ping other machines (both on the internet and on the LAN) and the gateway itself. Then, after a bit more time, they can't ping anything or even resolve dns. The gateway can ping anything on the net perfectly fine though. If I bring eth1 down and up again, it all works fine. I know I can just put ifdown eth1 && ifup eth1 in cron.hourly, but any idea what's causing this and how to fix?