Re: Issue writing image to disk via dd

On 13/04/11 19:47, Mark Kane wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011, at 14:33:34 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
<snipped>
> I could be wrong, but from looking at the script a bit it looks like dd
> is used to create the image like this:
>
> dd of=tmp/disk.img if=/dev/zero count=30720 bs=1k

After a quick squiz I agree

> Then the image is configured as a virtual device where things
> like bsdlabel/newfs are done to it, and then mounted for files to be
> added that way.
>
>> Which OS did you run the image creation script from?
>
> FreeBSD 8.2.

That was probably a red herring - sorry.

<snipped>

>> I'm assuming the message displayed by dd when the write is finished,
>> is identical in both cases (Debian and ArchLinux)?
>
> Yes, the dd output from both Debian and Arch is identical in terms of
> records in/out, bytes written, etc.
>
>> Sorry I can't provide an answer. Any chance you could post the script
>> you used to create the image, or a link to it (I suspect it will
>> answer the questions)??
>
> Sure, the script link is below, though it is a bit more complex than a
> single shell script. I realize what I'm trying to do here is probably
> off topic for the Debian list, but because the same process is
> having quite a different result on Debian vs another Linux distro I
> hope it is OK to discuss it here.

Well - it is about Debian... and the BSD bit *is* FreeBSD
(http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/) so I can't see a problem
there. :-)

If ArchLinux does a better job I'm just interested in finding out how to
match it with Debian - not convert ;-)

> http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/release/mfsbsd-1.1.tar.gz

Cheers (neat scripting) - I'll have a proper look at that script in the
next few days.
Upon reflection I'd be willing to bet it's down to the difference
between versions of coreutils - there's a couple of minor changes up
until 8.9 (according to NEWS). While most of the changes I've read about
improve speed and remove some minor bugs, I haven't noticed any that
increase functionality. So it may well the current Debian version would
work - just might be fussier about exact commands. ArchLinux appears to
use the version currently in git, I haven't looked at it (8.10 changes).
I'll have to have another read of the upstream docs when I've got some
time (and my eyes are rested).
<snipped>

I use dd a lot, so still curious.

Cheers